Is load-shedding here to stay? According to Eskom Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Tshediso Matona, in a recent interview, load shedding is here to stay, at least for the next few years, as the utility tries to stabilise an extremely constrained system. In fact, the situation may be getting worse. The latest spate of powercuts is certainly the worst the Country has experienced since the 2008 crisis that started it all. Now that we have it from the horse’s mouth, there’s nothing to be done except, like all good Scouts, to be prepared. Don’t let rolling blackouts disturb your plans, rather, plan for them.
Your load shedding survival kit
- Stick the load shedding schedule on your fridge so that you are never caught unawares. Click here to access Eskom’s Load Shedding Schedule.
- Buy a small gas stove so that you can whip up inexpensive, camping style meals.
- Buy a thermos flask and fill it with boiling water just before the power goes out. There’s nothing more comforting than a hot drink when you’re sitting in the dark.
- A power outage means no TV so make sure you have things like board games on hand to keep you busy.
- Or, make sure your laptop is fully charged. You can always watch YouTube clips or videos.
- The first non-electrical tool that comes to mind when the power goes down, is candles. But rather invest in a few sets of ePromo Smart Living Flameless Candles than use traditional candles. The Smart Living Flameless Candles are clean, safe and battery operated. Even a child can use them, they’re so safe – plus, although they don’t have a wick and open flame, they are made of real wax and give off a pleasant vanilla aroma.
Check out our website for further details on this super-useful, high-quality product.